Sunday, June 1

peacock-a-palooza


Have you heard that peacocks have the biggest egos in all of the animal kingdom? Neither had I. That's why I made it up. It's OK. I'm a scientist. I'm allowed to make those sorts of lofty claims. I'm sure there's someone out there researching it right now. But, seriously, where do you think they got the term cocky

I painted this rock yesterday to better communicate my feelings about peacocks. They're pretty much my favorite animal. 

Here are a few legitimate facts about peacocks:

1. Female peahens (only the males are called peacocks--very fitting if you ask me!) choose their mates based on the size, color and quality of their tail feathers. Apparently "quivering of the tail feathers" is also part of the ritual. Who knew birds could be so human-ish?
2. Peacocks have been called "urban guard dogs" because people used to keep them as pets, and they apparently make some freakin' loud call when humans approach. Apparently it's all the rage for "stately British homes"; they make signs to hang on their gates that say: CAUTION! Beware of Peacock. (OK, I made that last part up, too.)
3. My personal favorite: A group of peacocks is referred to as a "party". I kid you not. A party of peacocks! Who wouldn't want to receive that evite? In fact, I'm feeling an idea for our summer theme party coming on...Door prizes for Fanciest Plume, Sexiest Courtship Dance and Most Startling Squawk. 

No comments: