Monday, December 1

the oh-snap!-ple cup

Yeah yeah, I know it's a little belated, but can we just talk about the Apple Cup for a minute? I'm a Coug fan to the core, and I did some serious trash-talking the weeks before the big game against the Huskies. Even wore my WSU sweatshirt to school the day before to make sure everyone knew where my loyalties lied. (laid? I'm good at grammar) Anyway, even though I was excited for the game I wasn't so sure they were actually going to pull it off. 

Despite my worries, I hopped on the good ol' public transit an hour before the game and headed to lovely Georgetown, where a group of my friends were gathering to watch the game at the Marco Polo. It was quite a harrowing experience involving all kinds of odors from people of all walks of life, natch. I'm not going to lie to you and say that my own pits were dry when I stepped off the bus, but I made it there in one pi
ece at least.

Let me tell you a little bit about the Marco Polo. It made good first impressions, with a marquee that was pro-Cougs and a sea of Crimson upon entering. Decor was pretty sparse, probably because they'd spent all their budget on a real-live Nascar to put in the corner (well worth it, if you ask me)! Somehow my friends had managed to snag the only table with its own built-in fireplace, and we cuddled up with some plush footballs (purchased at Bartell's) to do some major rah-rah-ing.

The bartender/waiters were right on top of things, and within 2 minutes of sitting down I had already Tapped The Rockies and was sipping a $2 pint of Coors Light. Then, after only another 2 minutes, a basket o' bacon was randomly dropped off at our table. Were we about to ask questions? No. And as if things couldn't get any better, my team wasn't even losing yet! (They weren't ahead, either, but that's besides the point.)

At halftime, after our bacon appetizer, we ordered Cougar Gold Cheeseburgers, made with cheese from Pullman's infamous Ferdinand's Dairy. I asked for jo-jo's with mine, but apparently it was my lucky day because they accidentally brought their house fries--crinkle-cut fries--instead. And then brought the jo-jo's too. Man, did I get my fill of starch. I may have eaten my weight in their fry sauce too. Each table had its very own bottle of the stuff. Dangerous.

So, ya. The Cougs trailed til the 4th quarter, then miraculously tied it up at the last minute. Then, my new best friend--the UW kicker--totally missed some clutch field goals and we WON in double overtime. Oh, SNAP!

Pictured above: My interpretation of the Glory that is the Marco Polo. And yes, I *am* doing The Sprinkler.

1 comment:

Delta Dawn said...

Blast you and your bacon and Cougar Gold eating self! Why must you get to have all the fun and I'm stuck in Duckville.

Love your posts Fancy Peacock - keep them coming.